Saturday, June 28, 2008

Two Hearts as One...

I needed to make an anniversary card today for my BIL and SIL. After looking at the Inspirational Challenge on SCS I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I was inspired by the distressed look of the trunk and the headboard. (I know...shocker), and I wanted to use this sentiment by Verve ("Two Hearts, One Lifetime). Those of you who know me, know I don't usually like to work with hearts. I struggle terribly with attaching them to my cards. I don't know why...it's weird, I know. Anyway, I stamped the heart image unevenly on my cardstock, and while groaning, I turned the image the opposite way to fit it onto a scrap piece of paper and stamped it again. WOW!! I made a discovery. Well, you all have probably made it eons ago, but since I don't work with hearts, this idea never even occurred to me until I saw it. I had accidentally made a butterfly!! Woo-Hoo!! I love butterflies!! They are so much easier to work with...IMHO. And (bear with my mushy talk now) it fits with my sentiment so well, and the theme of marriage..."Two Hearts, One Lifetime", and "The two shall become one". How cool is that? Not only that, but a butterfly is a symbol for new life!! I'm done with all my symbolism now. I'm sure you want to hear more about the card instead.

Well, I used a mish-mash of stamps. The 3 panels (represent the trunk at the end of the bed of the inspiration) and the left piece (my headboard from the inspiration), were stamped with the Cornish Heritage Farms Burlap Backgrounder with Lake Mist (Adirondack). The middle panel is stamped with Judikins' Baroque Leaves. The butterfly was stamped with MFT's Boho Blossoms Hearts and is embossed with Judikins black detail embossing powder. I just cut out the middle piece of my butterfly and stamped that with a striped bg and embossed it in black. I don't know who it's by. It's not labeled and is old. The butterfly antennae are just the edges cut off of black grosgrain ribbon.

The flowers are from two punches and the dots are Rain Dots (Cloud 9 Design) I thought the rain dots were a softer, smokier color than brads or rhinestone stickers. I embossed the sentiment with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink (Ranger) and clear detailed embossing powder (JudiKins). All the panels are raised with mounting tape, and are ink distressed with Lake Mist (Adirondack).

Thanks for stopping by. I do hope all of you are having a fabulous weekend.

Supplies:
Stamps - Burlap Backgrounder (CHF), Baroque Leaves BG (JudiKins), Boho Blossoms (MFT)
Paper - Sahara Sand, Black (Stampin' Up), White (Papertrey)
Ink - Lake Mist (Adirondack), Frayed Burlap Distress Ink (Ranger), Black Versacolor
Accessories - Embossing Powder - Black and Clear (JudiKins), Flower Punches, RainDots (Cloud 9 Design), Ribbon (Stampin' Up), Organdy Ribbon, Grosgrain Ribbon (edges), Scotch Mounting Tape

10 comments:

Denise Marzec said...

OMG, what a cool idea....and not just a butterfly, but those hearts make a GORGEOUS butterfly! Great discovery, and thank you for sharing.

..and look at that really cool layout!! I'm totally flippin' for this card, Tosh!! Wow!

Gabriela said...

Love the BG stamping and color choices. Wonderful touch with the sheer organza ribbon.

jjcreations said...

Gorgeous card. I love this butterfly. Beautiful. Joan

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

WOW, is this GORGEOUS! I just love that butterfly!

Doris said...

I know what you mean about not using hearts--I feel the same way about using pink! No particular reason, just don't like that color... Your card is beautiful, and I love the colors you chose!

Judy Rozema said...

How absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I am running off to my stamp room to CASE right now!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful butterfly, hearts, & layout!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! Great ideas!!! And you think you're not talented?????!!!!! That would make a great wedding card, too!! :D

Anonymous said...

Your cards are absolutely gorgeous; I love your work..I am just beginning and am overwhelmed with what you do I just wish I had you in my room with me to explain everything...you r wonderful

MARCINE LUKE said...

I love your website and blog
Your header is just beautiful.
I am glad I came across this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs