Thursday, October 15, 2015

Wreaths Plain and Fancy with Power Poppy


Hello friends!!  Have you been enjoying all the Power Poppy previews?  I'm sure you agree that Marcella has outdone herself once again! Her creative designs are so inspiring to work with, and today is no exception.  

http://powerpoppy.com/Today we're featuring a set called Wreaths Plain and Fancy, and it includes a couple of wreaths, some beautifully fonted sentiments, and three sweet little images that could be included with the wreaths, or stand majestically on their own.  I chose to combine the rustic wreath with the church scene.

Now, I mentioned earlier that Marcella has a way of inspiring creativity with her images...and, that's just what happened with this card.  I saw the rustic wreath and the charming little country church, and I thought how fun would it be to make it look rustic and vintage.  Now, it didn't turn out just the way I wanted it, but this is the first time I tried this technique.  Let me explain...

I saw a tutorial Jennifer Dove did on creating texture with Copics and thought what fun way to really add some "oomph" to an image.  So, like she instructed, I colored the background with Copics first (leaving the wreath and church plain), and then used Copic's Colorless Blending Solution on some cheesecloth.  Now, I was going by memory, and didn't follow her instructions exactly so I didn't get a "strong" result.  The texture is subtle because I didn't hold the cheesecloth in place for 3 seconds like Jennifer instructs.  I also am not a symmetrical kind of girl, so I'm not happy with how perfectly circular my background is, but it's a learning experience for the next time I try this technique.  To be honest, unfortunately I learn better by making mistakes, which is extremely trying for a perfectionist.  In fact, I thought about scrapping this image entirely, but I just adored the wreath and church and thought, why not share where I went wrong, so others can learn from my imperfections.  It's humbling, but there ya have it.  :)

Here's a close up so the texture is a little more visible. 
  

Well, there ya have it my friends.  That's it for my project today.  If you haven't already, be sure to stop by the other Bloom Brigade Blogs.  These gals have got some serious skillzzzzz!!!  Let me tell ya!!

CopicsBackground ~ E35, E34, E31 Leaves ~ G28, G24, YG03 Church ~ T5, T3, T2, T1 Berries ~ R29, R24, R21

Thanks a bunch for dropping by!!  Be sure to stop by again on the 18th for the Release Hop!!  I saved one of my favorites for last!!  It's festive and cozy!! 

Happy Stamping!
__________________________________________________________________________

StampsWreaths Plain and Fancy (Power Poppy)
Paper: X-Press It and Bazzill
 Dies:  Standard Square and Labels One (Spellbinders)
Accessories:  Copics, Quickie Glue Pen, Glitter (Hero Arts), Dew Drops (Robin's Nest), Christmas Vineyard Embossing Folder (Couture Creations), Sewing Machine

10 comments:

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Tosh, this is absolutely gorgeous, and as I was looking at the card first (yes, I often do that before I read...can't help myself...hehe!), I thought, "how neat that the background has a hint of texture to it - cool." And then I read your description and saw how you didn't hold down the cheese cloth long enough. Well, sweet friend, perhaps you didn't, but I think this was just enough. And, like you, I learn by trial and error and mistakes. Recently there was a card (which shall go unnamed, but you can probably figure out which one0 that I almost didn't post but did. And it's good for us, as you said, to humble us. But this is gorgeous and absolutely perfect in my opinion. And I love the elegant layout with the stitching. It's fabulous, and I love this set and how we'll be able to mix up the elements inside the wreaths...woohoo! Thanks for sharing this beauty, my friend, in spite of your hesitancy. What you have in mind, we don't know. We just see the beautiful outcome. And that's how God works many times...we don't think something is great, but when others see it, it's beautiful! Hugs!

Julie Koerber said...

Okay lady, I saw this and my first thought was -- how did she create that AMAZING background???? I gasped and shook my head at your talent. And then, to read that you don't even like it??? HOW??? This is gorgeous!!! I am going to have to give that tutorial a try. This is simply breathtaking!

Jane said...

Oh I like this design, such a lovely card.

Leslie Miller said...

My first thought was "I love her smudgy background". I, too, am a perfectionist and I think this looks pretty darn awesome. 'Course, I know it's easy to think that about someone else's work, right? Sometimes I'm not too crazy about certain of my cards, but DT obligations...gotta post 'em. Anyway, I can clearly see the texture, and it looks great. I really have to try this. Also love your embossed panel with the faint snowflakes. All so pretty!

JoAnn said...

Wow, I am so glad you didn't scrap this. It is beautiful. I love the background as well as the lovely wreath. I think you did a great job with it. Your coloring is fabulous. TFS

Berina RGA said...

Beautiful background!! Love the textured effect on the background you have created. I think it is very pretty!! Sometimes we can be our hardest critic. I love it!!
-Berina
Moxie Craftie

Conniecrafter said...

That is gorgeous and combining them was such a great idea, you may not have done it by the directions but it turned out wonderful!

Barb said...

This is so beautiful, Tosha. I love the snowy, vintage country look. Looks like you stamped on leather. It's just gorgeous.

Stacy Morgan said...

Tosh this is super cool and vintage style. The shimmer ribbon and snow around the church is wonderful. Your coloring is outstanding as always my friend.

https://adiecrafty.blogspot.com/ said...

Just love the vintage look of this card

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design By Designer Blogs